Information for Landlords
Furniture and Furnishings Fire Safety
As from 1st January 1997 all furniture in tenanted residential property must comply with the 1993 amendments to the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 which extends the scope of the Consumer Protection Act 1987 (CPA). This covers the supplying (hiring or lending) of specified goods (upholstered furniture and certain furnishings) "in the course of business".
A landlord letting her own home over an extended period, perhaps to different tenants, would be deemed to be "letting in the course of business" and would need to comply. We would therefore strongly recommend that anyone, regardless of whether they see themselves as running a business or not, should make absolutely sure they are complying with these regulations.
The regulations apply to:
- Arm chairs, three piece suites, sofas, sofa beds, futons and other convertible furniture.
- Beds, Bed bases and headboards, mattresses, divans and pillows.
- Nursery furniture
- Garden furniture which could be used indoors
- Loose, stretch and fitted covers for furniture, scatter cushions, seat pads and pillows.
The regulations do not currently apply to:
- Antique furniture or furniture manufactured before 1950
- Bed clothes and duvets
- Loose mattress covers
- Sleeping bags
Gas Safety Certificate
The Landlord is Responsible for the following:
- Check for safety within 12 months of being installed and then at least every twelve months by a Capita registered gas installer. This is done in the form of a landlord gas safety certificate
- Ensure a landlord gas safety certificate has been completed and that each appliance and flue has been tested within the 12 month period before any tenancy commences and a Capita registered installer must take remedial action (or disconnect) any appliance that fails a safety check
- Provide a copy of the landlord gas safety certificate to any new tenant before they move in or to an existing tenant(s) within 28 days
- Keep a record of the landlord gas safety certificate made on each appliance for two years
- Ensure that gas appliances, fittings, and flues are maintained in a safe condition
- Allied Management in partnership with Pawletts Heating Services www.gapawlett.co.uk provide a reliable, cost effective service to our landlords